If you’re interested in applying for this position, please submit our employment application along with your resume to .
Douglah Designs, Inc. is recognized as one of the Bay Area’s premier interior design and residential remodeling companies and have been in business in Lafayette since 1997. We are experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an experienced Residential Lead Designer to join our dynamic team! Our luxury design build company is located in beautiful Lafayette, CA, serving Contra Costa and Alameda Counties along the 24/680 corridors.
The Lead Designer position is responsible for design, sales, and end-to-end project management of client jobs, ensuring project success and maintenance of the proper profit, as well as client satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following reflects management’s definition of essential duties and responsibilities for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned to an individual. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Meets with potential and current clients in the showroom or in client homes
- Creates residential design solutions for small, medium, large, and full scope projects that include projects such as whole house remodels and small additions. Duties include space planning, hand sketching, cabinet layout, lighting solutions design, tile design, color coordination, and all product recommendations and selections
- Working with the Construction Manager and Design Services Manager as required, drafts proposals and estimates for client jobs
- Creates merchandise proposal/pricing documents that outline the product and materials to be purchased for a given job, including data such as pricing, quantities, vendors, and product model numbers
- Prepares design and build contracts for client acceptance
- Meets and works with clients and Douglah Designs (DD) staff throughout the course of the projects to manage and track progress of the jobs and ensure client satisfaction
- Uses QuickBooks to track estimates, order, invoices, and client payments
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have a college degree in interior design, interior architecture, or architecture
- Must possess a minimum of 8 years of design/architecture experience
- Must possess relevant certification – ASID Professional Member, CKD/DBD, and/or CCIDC
- Must have experience managing design/build projects of all types and sizes (e.g. small baths, kitchens, small room additions, or whole house remodels)
- Must have experience with hand drafting and sketching interior/architectural designs. CAD experience is a plus
- Must be able to grasp client needs and vision, and convert them to a satisfactory client deliverable
- Must have excellent project management skills, and be able to work well with other team members
- Must be able to read blueprints and understand/interpret the designs, and apply the knowledge to client projects
- Must be detail oriented, flexible, and creative
- Must be capable of conducting long client meetings in the showrooms or at the client’s home, which entail a great deal of critical thinking, talking, explaining concepts, and negotiating
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be able to present concepts in a clear and concise manner
- Must have a “can do” and positive attitude
- Must have strong time management skills and multi-tasking abilities, and be capable of working well under pressure
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record. Must also possess valid auto insurance
- Must be PC literate and have working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb, and lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to spend several hours at a time working on a computer, and to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to measure at showroom or job sites which could include climbing stairs, or using ladders, step stools, or other furnishings and equipment to collect the required data needed for space measurements
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
- May need to visit project sites where there is dirt, dust, and a loud work environment
- The Company will use Driver Record Information for employment and insurance purposes. Final selection candidates will be asked to sign a consent to release of DMV record information prior to hiring.
Douglah Designs is an equal opportunity employer.